Today we celebrate my son’s first birthday, and with that comes a great amount of reflection about how far we’ve come. He’s still alive, so there’s that. He’s pretty happy and as of the last week, he’s sleeping through the night in the most official sense–all night without waking up.
In my tired and sleep deprived state over the past year, I’ve been more than surprised by what’s crossed my mind. I thought I’d share some of that with you. Here are 21 confessions from the first year of my son’s life and a bonus confession that pretty much tops the list.
1. I let the nurse hold my son’s hand the first time he got shots so I could comfort him immediately after and he wouldn’t associate me with pain.
2. I’d often think about shoulder tapping for groceries so I wouldn’t have to wake my sleeping infant.
3. I taught my son to thumb wrestle when he was 3 months old. I beat him. Twice.
4. I never realized how stressful a shower could be until I took one to the sound of a screaming child.
5. I let him suck on plastic toys. He can have all the juicy BPA goodness he wants.
6. I regularly forget what day of the week it is and sometimes I’m off on the month.
7. For the first 2 months, my husband and I would put my son in his bassinet with wheels and roll him back and forth over the tile until he fell asleep. This often took over an hour.
8. When he outgrew his bassinet, we’d rock him and bounce him for hours to get him to sleep.
9. I grounded my 4 month old when he failed to nap. One day he took 20 minute naps every 2 hours, so I took away his books, his toys, his fan, and all the mirrors.
10. I learned my son would rather me not shoot at him at point-blank range with a bubble gun.
11. He only took a bottle twice, and each time it was after hours of crying.
12. I probably read enough books and blogs on sleep training to write a dissertation by the time my son was 6 months old.
13. No book or blog ever discussed how to get your infant to sleep while the band practices across the street.
14. We made everyone whisper for the first eight months in our house, so we wouldn’t wake him up.
15. It drives me crazy when my son bends his book covers the wrong way.
16. I once paid $35 to replace my son’s favorite teddy bear that was given to him as a gift.
17. I thought a cloth diaper wet bag meant fill it with water and let soiled diapers soak. It doesn’t.
18. I didn’t call a single friend on their birthday this year, and only text half of them the day after to let them know I was thinking about them.
19. After he finally falls asleep, my husband and I often stare at photos and watch videos of him.
20. Asking for a hug and getting it has never been so awesome.
21. If you wobble when you walk, babble your speech, and have the hiccups, you are a happy one-year old, but Mommy and Daddy will regularly joke about how drunk you are.
These are only the ones that either came to mind or I was willing to admit. Our little man is pretty remarkable. I am really thankful for a job that allows me to work from home so I can see his personality change and his hair grow taller.
Your turn — leave a comment and name one confession from your first year of motherhood that will make the rest of us feel normal.